Tools of the Trade: Book Club

Later this week I have my second ever meeting of a book club. It’s hard to believe that I’ve never been in a book club before, but part of it was that I just never knew anyone who lived near me that had one, and another part of it was that I was always “too busy”. Now I wish I’d joined one sooner. I’m very introverted, but I can talk to anyone about books. And this is a group of people who get together for the sole purpose of discussing books. How awesome is that?!? Full disclosure: part of my extreme delight in these evenings may have something to do with the fact that the host happily makes us all dinner, and even makes mine dairy free.

I think it’s also been good for me to expand my range of reading. None of the books on the list are books that I would ever choose to read for myself, so it’s nice to get a little push out of my comfort zone and broaden my horizons. Left to my own devices, I get on kicks where I’ll read nothing but mysteries for months on end, then maybe jump to fantasy, then science fiction, and back to mysteries, and rinse and repeat.

One of the reasons I love discussing books with people is that reading is such an interactive experience. What you bring to the book is as much a part of the reading experience as the words on the page in front of you, so no two people will ever have the exact same reaction to it. Listening to other people’s interpretations helps me think about the book in a new way, and in a great discussion, helps me think about other books in a new way.

So those are all the reasons why I love my book club. What about you? Have you ever been in a book club? What is the main reason you like it?

7 thoughts on “Tools of the Trade: Book Club

1. Debi Morton says:

Well, you know how much I love my Book Club. The only thing that could make it better would be for your mom to move back and rejoin us. Like you, many of the books we read, including the one I just finished for the January meeting, are books I would not otherwise be reading. However, I almost always enjoy reading them and the discussions are excellent. Book Club is, without fail, my favorite morning of the month.

• lectorsbooks says:

Your book club was what inspired me to actually make the plunge and try one! I know my mom misses you ladies! Friendships based on books are the best. :)

2. Diane says:

I’ve been in a Book Group for years. The original group all knew each other (your mom being one) and we have added ladies over time. We’ve become very close and are kind of a support group for each other. I’m an introvert as well so I love meeting with these ladies once a month to discuss our lives and the book we’ve all read. We have great discussions. I always seem to like the book more after I hear the perspectives of the other group members. I hope you enjoy your group!

3. Beth Hennings says:

Book Club is what I miss most about not living in Houston. Not that Houston has a monopoly on book clubs, but our book club grew to be so much more than just getting together over books. We spurred each other on not only to read, but to love and good deeds as well! Being in a Book Club is good discipline to finish at least one book a month, but also a reminder to read just for fun. I enjoy hearing what others are reading when they choose for themselves. I, too, appreciate reading for discussion books I wouldn’t choose on my own. And the varying perspectives on any given book are what make a BC discussion so much fun. BORING if everyone liked or hated the same book, though we usually find plenty to say no matter what we’ve read! When I was living in the US, the rest of my calendar was carefully planned around Book Club meetings! What better Thumbs Up can a middle aged woman offer?

4. lectorsbooks says:

Looks like I should have just let y’all write my post! :) I had forgotten about that benefit: hearing what others are reading themselves, but it’s a good one.

5. Stori says:

I just joined a book club this past fall for the first time! Its so much fun to hear people who are nothing like me’s views. I am surprised at how diverse the opinions are, given the region of the US I live in, normally I feel in the minority on most of my opinions. We have mostly read books I wouldn’t read and I’ve had mixed feelings about a few of them, but I’m glad that it makes me read something that I normally wouldn’t. I also love that it encourages me to read just for fun and not another one of the many parenting books that have consumed me lately.

• lectorsbooks says:

Oh yay! I’m so glad you’re in a book club! And I firmly believe that too many parenting books are bad for the soul. Although I am dying to read Jim Gaffigan’s Dad is Fat.

Add Comment Register